Inside Mazda SKYACTIV Technology
What is SKYACTIV?
Mazda’s SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY is a brand released by the company beginning in 2011 used for a series of technologies they have developed with the mission of delivering superior fuel efficiency, world-class safety, lower emissions of harmful products and ride that feels intuitively responsive to the person in the driver’s seat.
To achieve this, Mazda set out to completely re-think how the interior components of a vehicle work with each other in order to maximize how everything works together. Their research led them to upgrade the design of their engines, transmissions, body and chassis components of their vehicles in efforts to maximize their efficiency and overall performance.
Follow the Statistics
Without going into the nitty gritty of it all, we can let the stats do some talking. Versus a similar vehicle using conventional engine, transmission and body technology, Mazda’s SKYACTIV tech scored some pretty intriguing data when tested:
- 15% Increase in Torque is achieved by the dome shaped pistons used by the SKYACTIV-G engine, making it the world’s first gasoline engine in mass produced vehicles to achieve a compression ratio of 13.0:1, allowing it to capture more energy from the gas and improving it’s efficiency.
- 15% Lower Fuel Consumption and overall emissions is achieved by the SKYACTIV components while maintaining its 15% increase in low/mid-ranged torque.
- 30% Less Friction inside the engine is achieved by the SKYACTIV-G, improving oil pump and water pump efficiency by 74% and 31% respectively, and reduces friction in crankshaft, rods and pistons by 25%.
- 30% More Fuel Efficient Diesel usage is achieved by the SKYACTIV-D engine versus a comparable gasoline engine, which also achieves a 14.0:1 compression ratio, creating an exceptionally clean use of the fuel.
- 10% Less Weight is achieved by the SKYACTIV-D engine using a lighter crank shaft, pistons and an aluminum block. Weighing less than a conventional engine contributes to tighter handling and better fuel economy.
- 7% More Fuel Efficiency is gained with the SKYACTIV-Drive transmission.
- 30% Better Body Rigidity is achieved by the SKYACTIV-Body system by clever engineering and use of materials. The bodies are designed to be approximately 8% lighter than previous models, all whilst improving crash safety performance.
BODY and CHASSIS
Mazda’s breakthrough SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY is an innovative automotive engineering strategy that delivers superior fuel economy, enhanced safety, lower emissions and a natural, intuitive response to driver input – all without ever giving up an ounce of Mazda’s signature driving exhilaration.